Sunday, June 19, 2016

The Day I Broke Up With Facebook

My Profile Picture
Unlike Scripture, Facebook can be whatever you want it to be.

Scripture is real, unchanging, sufficient, God's Holy Word. Facebook is not.

A few weeks ago, I found myself taking pictures of my beautiful family, thinking, "Oh, how this picture is going to look on Facebook!"

Facebook has invaded my thoughts way too much. It's not Facebook's fault, it's mine. I wonder why did that person say that, or what did they mean by that, or is that pointed at me, or why are they there, or what happened to them, or etc. I also spend more time than necessary trying to decide how I will say this or that, or which picture to post, or how many is too many, or will this make someone made, or I don't want to offend anyone but I should say, you get the idea.

See how much thought goes into Facebook?

I joined Facebook many years ago so that I could keep an eye on my kids and their friends. I wanted to be a part of what they were doing. In all those years, I've learned a lot! Sometimes, I learned way more than I wanted. But, for the most part, I have enjoyed seeing them do life, get jobs, get married, have babies, or just become adults.

I've also loved getting to see friends from my childhood. And the fact that I can stay informed about the lives of people that I don't get to interact with as often as I'd like is great too.

Cover Photo
It didn't take long for me to realize that other people on Facebook only let you see what they want you to see. No one on Facebook can possibly post everything about who they are. Most only post what they want others to see and that's fine. Facebook isn't real life and no one is required to post everything about their lives.  Nor would we want that.

I'm not one of those people who get tired of seeing pictures of someone's baby or dog and then block them, nor do I delete someone because they don't agree with me. I just scroll on by. I have a deleted a few because of vulgar words and pictures (I do have small children looking over my shoulder), but it takes a lot to get deleted from my Facebook.

Since I've started writing this post, I've had a few moments that I was bothered by what someone said. In my mind I had to deal with it. Would I say something or ignore it, would I let it stew in my thoughts too long?

I chose to remember why I'm on Facebook. It's a casual interaction with others. It's not meant to control my thinking or actions. (I actually did pray for that person.) If someone wants to promote their agenda on Facebook, that's fine. Facebook is the place for that.

But that agenda will not invade my thoughts so often. It will not keep my mind off of the real focus.

So here it is -

"Facebook, I'm breaking up with you. Consider us 'just friends' from now on. We can have the casual relationship that we might speak in passing, but I will not think about you anymore than that- in passing."
"Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things." Philippians 4:8
I used the word Facebook for the sake of this article, but insert what ever social media that you use.

1 comment:

Suzanne said...

Very timely, Lori. Our church ladies are discussing the book, "The Company We Keep", and social media friendships was one of the topics last week. Thanks for helping us -- through your eyes and thoughts -- refocus on what is real and most important.