Thursday, October 13, 2016

Teach Them to Think


Hannah has been on a kind of crusade for all young people to think for themselves. She is challenging them to examine why they believe and what they believe. It has gotten me more than raised eyebrows from my friends.














As a first grade teacher, challenging kids comes naturally to her. As a Summer camp counselor, she got lots of opportunities. As a big sister, she is practicing on her sisters and their friends.  Her idea that teaching them to think for themselves will make their own faith stronger, or it will cause them to seek the truth.

If your "religion is good" then it can stand up under the scrutiny and the questions of your adult children. I read a quote similar to this from Francis or Edith Schaeffer or Elisabeth Elliot (I can't find the original quote.) I believe this to be true! Our faith must be based on truth, and able to withstand strong questions.

I'm truly proud of Hannah. She has completed her Masters of Education and is now in the process of teaching Susannah and Abigail how to ride the handlebars of a bicycle. (Yes, I do allow my kids to ride their bikes inside. Why not?)

It can't be said that my girls are the typical cookie-cutter homeschool, preacher kids. They consider it an accomplishment when people they meet are surprised that they actually are those things.

I want my girls to think for themselves. They shouldn't be put in a box, to look like everyone else, to sound like everyone else. And if they do those things, I want them to be able to explain why.

I love to hear them discuss real issues, sometimes. Sometimes, their "discussions" sound a little too like arguing. Because they think for themselves, they don't always agree with each other... And because their thoughts get deeper and more intelligent than mine, I've had to back out of more than one discussion.

No comments: