Friday, October 07, 2016

Choices Will be Made

By not choosing one or the other, you've made a choice. If you don't choose right away the choice will pass you by.

What's the best choice here? Both are ice cream, both are delicious, both are whatever you prefer. But you are faced with two choices, Neapolitan or rainbow sherbet. You must choose one of those, or a mixture of those.

Or is that so? If you don't choose either, you've made another choice. The delay in choosing is a choice itself. Considering ice cream, if you don't choose quickly, the choice ends up melted all over the place. So, make the choice and enjoy the decision.

What about dresses? Consider which one would be appropriate for the occasion and get dressed. You can't not wear something, so you must make a choice. You can't stand there all day undressed, nor can you go anywhere like that. (Unless you live in a nudist colony, which there is an option about ten miles from here.)

What about the choice to witness to your neighbor or someone you run in to at the store? Do you speak words of Christ to a lost person or do you wait again and let the opportunity to melt away?

I am so guilty of avoiding decisions that need to be made. I don't like to choose because I don't want to be responsible for any bad decision that may come about. Also, I don't want to offend anyone or stir up controversy.

But the decision to witness has to be made, and it has to be made quickly. Actually, the decision should be made before the opportunity arises. As Christians, we have to be ready at all times to answer questions about the hope within us or speak Jesus' name to a lost world.

But in your hearts honor Christ the Lord as holy, always being prepared to make a defense to anyone who asks you for a reason for the the hope that is in you; yet do it with gentleness and respect.  I Peter 3:15 (emphasis mine)

Am I ready to make a defense for the gospel? Am I ready to answer anyone who would ask the reason for the hope which is within me?  Will I choose to share with those I'll see tomorrow when I go to the grocery store?

No comments: