Tuesday, March 08, 2016

Revitalizing Bible Study

My Bible studies seem to go in seasons.

The cycles include things like - reading through the Bible in a year, chronological reading, in-depth study of one book, or devotional reading (usually during the busiest months). This past December, I was feeling discouraged and a little too laissez-faire about my Bible study/devotional time.

For Christmas, I received a copy of Paul Tripp's New Morning Mercies devotional book. It seems to speak the gospel in devotional bits to me every day.  I know that the gospel isn't about me, but about Christ. The devotions deliver the gospel as it relates to every day life, then add scripture to read. Every day's scripture readings include selections that I think, "Oh, I should add this to my list of scripture to memorize and meditate on."

The Praying The Bible concept is still as refreshing as I had hoped it would be. I am not recommending we abandon Bible study, but sometimes, we need a fresh breath. I can't wait to finish the that our ladies are reading together, Women of the Word by Jen Wilkin.

No comments: