Monday, September 14, 2015

What Sin Is So Great That Can't Be Forgiven?

What about my own sin in marriage? Do you remember, as a Christian, the moment that you realized that you were truly forgiven of your sins?

Have you ever examined the blackness of your heart and seen the forgiveness of Christ cover that? I heard a lady talk about how one day she begged God to show her the blackness of her sin. She described a truly awful moment of evil within her own heart, and yet, by her own admission, she still goes back to sin again.
 All have sinned and fall short of the glory of God. Romans 3:23 
She still falls into sin because she does what we all do - we sin. We are sinners by nature and we need a savior.  We love to sin, we hate to sin, we sin. Because I am a sinner, my marriage will suffer. I married a sinner too. If I continue in my sinful ways, whatever way that is, my marriage will not flourish.

This could get very depressing couldn't it?  If there were no hope of forgiveness for the dark deeds of life, there would be no hope in life at all.  I don't understand how non-Christians live day after day with that.

My mind, heart, words and body must focus on the work of Christ and what He has done to rescue me.  So, as I battle a bad attitude toward Ray or a lack of focus on my husband, I have to remember Christ and repent.

What about those big sins? The good news is that no matter what sin we have committed, Christ can forgive us.

The stories in the news of suicide shake me. Most recently, a pastor we knew and respected committed suicide. What man's sin is so great that it can't be forgiven by Christ and his people? This particular man had a long history of sin and was about to be exposed. (I know there must be consequences to sin, but forgiveness is possible.)

But God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

How does that transfer into marriage? Husbands and wives often sin against each other and sometimes those sins are huge. We have to remember that while we ourselves were sinners, Christ died for us. If the Holy One of God can forgive us in our blackest hearts, can't we forgive our spouses? Not only we can, but we must. 

Someone might say, "That's easy for you to say, your husband hasn't abused you or committed adultery or anything really 'big'." That's true, but I know the Savior who saves. The forgiveness He offers can flow through me. 

Now, if in the future I am faced with one of those "big" sin issues. I will have to face the reality of that truth. There will be hurt, anger, and every terrible emotion to be thought of I'm sure. But I will have to ask myself the same question, "What sin is so great that can't be forgiven?"

No comments: