Saturday, September 19, 2015

Oh, the Tongue!

Our society has gotten too comfortable with some words. How do you decide as a family which words to use? Everyone has different standards. The Bible doesn't have a list of words that are rude or unacceptable.
When thinking through certain words that I find unacceptable, the original 1828 edition of Noah Webster's American Dictionary of the English Language is a good place to start. I looked up some nasty culprit words and they aren't there. Looking up bad words in the dictionary, childish, right? But if Noah Webster didn't think they were nice to say, they shouldn't be said. That can't be the source because any word can be used as an insult with the right tone behind it. (And our society loves to invent and change the original meanings of words.)

I've often thought of the sweetest little old lady that I know. Would she say the word?  That may not be the best guide either, I've heard some filthy talk come from the elderly. But the point is, would I want someone that I respect and admire to hear me say what I'm saying?

Thinking about words we use:
  • Speech matters. What you say reveals your heart, mine too.
  • Never allow words that could be used to condemn, to hurt, or cause harm.
  • Bathroom words belong in the bathroom.
  • Every family has words that are not allowed. Respect that. (Some of ours are - shut up, hate, stupid, idiot.)
One of my all time favorite children's books is called Little Daisy and the Swearing Class. It's about a little girl (of course) who sets about to change the way people she meets uses words. Her gentility wins over the hardest of hearts and changes the whole town for good. Yes, I know, I want the world to be too much like Pollyanna.

Practicing Affirmation is a book I started a long time ago but recently picked it up again to finish. The idea is to praise people for God given talents, behaviors, and such, making sure you give credit to whom credit is due - God. This book discusses issues like self esteem, flattery, pride and positive thinking cultures while staying true to God's word. If we use words to build others up instead of tear them down, wouldn't everything change? That's a common message, but it's important, especially when it refers to praising God for the good we see in others. God is praised and others are encouraged.

I struggle with talking way too much, so I have to remind myself often what scripture says about the mouth. I truly want my speech to be gracious, seasoned with salt. Scripture and especially the Proverbs are packed with good scripture to memorize to help with the tongue.

These girls have the gift of "sister speech." This is Sarah and Hannah when we were at the beach this past Summer. It's fun to see them play, since they are so grown up and work and do school all the time.




1 comment:

beckya said...

Wonderful post Lori. I've been thinking about the power of the tongue a lot recently as well. I've been thinking a lot on the verse in Proverbs 31:26 and asking myself- will I be known for having a kind tongue? Not only to those around me, but to those in closest proximity to me. I've also been thinking a lot about the power of not only my verbal words, but also my written words- texts, emails, letters, social media- do I use my words in those places to speak kindly and gently towards others. It is amazing to think about how powerfully our words (good or bad) can effect those around us- some for a long time. I too struggle with speaking too much and want to work on that as well, by God's grace, not just speaking many words, but carefully chosen words that have been thought through and prayed through if needed. I will have to check out that book Practicing Affirmation- I have not heard of it, but it sounds great. Thank you for sharing your wisdom and thoughts on this!