Tuesday, August 11, 2015

An Accident?

Was this an accident?  Hannah, Abigail and I were driving to Gainesville when another car turned immediately in front of us, causing us to hit almost head on. The wreck happened close to our home, which is also very close to an EMT center, so the paramedics and Ray got to the scene very quickly.

Hannah rode with me to the hospital in the ambulance and Ray followed close behind us. Rachel met us to pick up Abigail, but brought her to the hospital later because she was complaining of too many aches and pains. Abigail's shoulder was X-rayed and found to be fine.  She was sore for too long for my comfort and ended up with more bruises than anyone. Hannah was checked out at the hospital and was okay.

I don't remember much about the accident, definitely not the actual hit or how anything sounded. I remember seeing the air bag inflated, Hannah jumping over to the back seat and Abigail's terrified face. Hannah seemed to be more prepared for the crash and got to Abigail so quickly. I jumped out of the car and tried to get Abi's door opened. When I got to the other side of the car, it was surrounded with people helping us. It wasn't until I sat down in a grassy median holding Abigail in my lap that I realized that I was hurt. All I could think of was my chest felt very hot and I couldn't catch my breath and I wanted Ray to get there fast to help me.

I had lots of X-rays and an MRI and in the end of the day have a broken sternum and whiplash. The pain isn't quite as bad as childbirth, but it is terrible and it's a pain that will just not go away. For the first week, there seemed to be no relief from it except for strong medication. In the beginning, I had no control over my torso and had to be lifted from a lying to a sitting position. It was aggravating to just lie and wait for someone to help me up, but my injuries could have been so much worse. We are grateful that God protected us all. The family in the other car came away with no injuries and they were driving a small car.

There is still no word about the van, which we've only made five payments on. My beautiful van that had less than 50,000 miles on it and every gadget still worked is no longer with us. We think it will be totaled but for some reason the insurance company just doesn't know.

I've tried to stay away from the word accident about all of this. God is sovereign over all things and I know He was very present that day. Reading Psalm 139:7-10, I am assured that God is everywhere. He was on the road that day. He was not surprised when that man turned into my path. Did He cause it? I don't know, but I know He was not shocked at what happened.

After twelve days I am back to functioning on my own and trying to get back to my duties. Going to the grocery store with Ray was brutal and church on Sunday was way too long, but I made it through both. I couldn't fold three loads of laundry today, but I was able to get it started. I feel very weak from laying around and have been too easily discouraged. That's when I have to be reminded of God's Sovereignty over all things. Psalm 139:5 - You hem me in, behind and before, and lay your hand upon me.

No comments: