Wednesday, March 18, 2015

The "H" Word

It's a word I truly cannot stand to hear! All my life, I have heard it as an excuse, a curse word, a scapegoat, a justification for sin. It's really a terrible word.

I've heard it from doctors when they didn't know what to say, especially in my teenage girls. In an especially frustrating week, I even growled at my chiropractor one day, "Don't ever say that word to me again!"

HORMONES!

You've heard it too.

The ebb and flow of hormones (pun intended) comes and goes in crazy cycles (and again) all of our lives. Women know that it's always coming.
Before Ray and I got married, he told me that I could never go through menopause. As a young mother, I read things about it and thought that it wouldn't be that hard. I would just have to remember that with age, things change. Having children later in life, I've heard, postpones the onset of the dreaded event.

Well, here I am! Growl intended there too.

The physical part is nothing compared to the mental part. I haven't figured out how to completely control the thoughts that come along with my changing hormones. But I am working on it.

This onset of emotions has me a lot quieter than I normally would be sometimes. If I don't keep my mouth closed, I am too tempted to say things that I shouldn't.

Feelings of loneliness, discouragement and despair are heightened. Though nothing has really changed in my stage in life, I "feel" like it has.

Anytime that the word "feel" comes to my mind, an automatic red flag flies up too. I do not trust my feelings, nor should I. My go to Bible verse is Philippians 4:8.
Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things.
If I can't get control of my mind, I will not have control of my mouth, hands, body. No one wants to live around an out of control hormonal woman. Thankfully, there is help in Titus 2:11-12.
For the grace of God has appeared, bringing salvation for all people, training us to renounce ungodliness and worldly passions, and to live self-controlled, upright, and godly lives in the present age. (emphasis mine)
Training is the key word. I am in training. Grrrrrr....

No comments: