Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Laundry as a Holy Experience

Speaking of laundry, where did this come from?
I was looking at a mound of laundry before me and made a conscience decision. I could moan and groan or I could spend some time praying. After I started praying quietly, I was surprised at how quickly the time went and I was able to pray for so many things that I wouldn't have normally thought of. There were even some items that needed extra prayer, so I held on to them a little longer than needed. This might be a good exercise to give your children to try while they tackle their own laundry.

Here is just a sample of what I found in my heap and a little of how I prayed for each.

  • A stray outfit of Susannah's- prayer for her salvation
  • Sarah's Oregon T-shirt that she got on a mission trip- prayer for missions
  • Lydia's Minnesota T-shirt - prayer for Adrian's family
  • Pajamas - prayer for rest for those who have trouble going to sleep or resting
  • Mary's Ocala T-shirt - prayer for our dear friends at Olivet Baptist Church in Ocala
  • Lydia's Nanny T-shirt - prayer that we remember our heritage and the faith of those gone before us
  • My jeans - prayer that my day to day walk with God would honor Him
  • Dish towels - prayer that we would clean to bring order to our world
  • Sarah's Spartan race T-shirt - prayer that she would be able to get back to exercising and be strong and healthy
  • Baby towels - prayer that God would always bless our homes with babies
  • Jeans that are too little and socks with holes - prayer for provision of new clothes when we need them, and that we would buy what we need, not frivolous
  • Hannah's teaching clothes - prayers for her classroom, students, attitude, strength, wisdom, school
  • Stray towel left by a friend that visited - prayers for that family 
  • Cloth napkins - provision for food, service to our family and others
  • The dress Hannah wore to a wedding shower - obvious prayers there
  • Mounds of underclothing from five daughters bring lots of ways to pray for modesty,  good health, protection from evil, future husbands

1 comment:

Natalie said...

This is great encouragement! Thank you!