Thursday, May 01, 2014

How Have I Grown in My Faith?

As a young believer and newly married, there was the complaint that older, more mature Christians weren't doing their jobs in the church. Generally, they would be the ones always in Bible studies, never leading or always backing away from the leadership jobs. Too often we would hear, "Oh, let the young folks do that."

Now I'm the "mature, older one."

That seems so strange to me. I don't feel old ... usually. I don't feel mature ... ever.

What am I doing today that I wasn't doing, five years ago, fifteen years ago, twenty-five years ago? What has my slowly trekking along in the faith produced?

I am a strong proponent in the slow, methodical progression of life. Strong outbursts of flurry in any area of life will often lead to sudden death in those same areas of life. I know that a slow growth upward is the way I work and what I admire most in others.

Long term, faithful growth cannot be faked or manipulated.

But in that long term growth, what is different about my life of faith?

There are areas of my life that are painfully lacking in improvement- sins that still haunt me from my past, ties to this world, lack of Scripture memory -to name just a few.

I'm sure there is growth forward-
  • Willingness to serve from the heart and without others noticing
  • More faith that how God leads is how I must follow
  • Stronger confidence in my convictions
  • Commitment to The Church, the Bride of Christ
As I think through ways I personally have grown, I can't think farther than in the lives of those around me. As a wife and mother, I can see my spiritual growth directly connected to the growth of my husband and children.

Seasons when we have been faithful to the Word in various ways prove to be the seasons that we have been faithful to the walk that we have been called. Prayer life, scripture memory, family devotions, and service to others are all closely connected to how we grow.

My prayer life is often a good indicator of my connectedness to others, especially my husband and children.  If I am praying selfish prayers for my husband then our relationship isn't all that it could be. If my prayers for my children are directed at changing behavior and not their hearts then I am missing great opportunities of spiritual growth for us all.  (Yes, there is a such thing as selfish prayers.)

As I examine this area of my own life, I am so very thankful to God for the growth I see, but more burdened than ever for the lack of growth too.

No comments: