Friday, September 09, 2011

Lydia's Latest

"Wow Mama! You just stumped the know-it-all!" Speaking of me giving Mary a spelling placement test and she didn't know the word 'apparatus'.

"Does the baby's gumbily cord attach straight to the feed sack?" This was after I had explained a little about the placenta being a sort of snack bag for the baby. Then she wanted to know if the baby has taste buds and what good are they right now.

"I know how the doctor knows if our baby is a boy or girl!" I gasp and ask how. "He can tell by the platter." It took a long time for me to figure out she meant 'bladder'. (I'm kind of impressed she knows what the bladder does.)

"Don't you think that a Praying Mantis would go to Heaven?"

"I'm so glad we're home schooled! We can bundle up when we get cold." Yes, the weather was a little nicer, but not cold!

This is really the first year that I've ever done any grammar with Lydia. The curriculum we use starts with prepositions. I asked Lydia to give me nine words that rhyme with the preposition 'by'. I was expecting words like my, sky, fly... Her first question was,
"Can I use slanted rhymes like 'deny'?" When I told her that maybe we should start with simple rhyming first, her list of words began with nigh, sigh, and thigh. I asked her if she thought about my, sky, and fly, and she said they'd probably be good words too. How does a seven year old know about slanted rhyming? I'm not sure I know about them.

"You need to get Sarah another appointment about her headaches." - Daddy
"Why don't you get an appointment with God, you won't have to call ahead of time, you can just pray anytime." - Lydia

No comments: