Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Heritage Hydrangeas


On July 4th our family got together with extended family for a breakfast at my aunt's house. I am not able to go visit often so I was surprised by all I saw. A lot of aunts, uncles and cousins live on the homeplace where they grew up and have saved a lot of things out of my grandma's house before it was torn down. Being somewhat nostalgic I was thrilled to see how much was saved. Bead board paneling was taken strip by strip and rehung for a game room, flowers were transplanted and rerooted, the bench at the kitchen table was added to a counter. My mom gave me some of Grandma's plates to hang on my dining room wall along with new window treatments that are beautiful. But the most treasured gift I received was cuttings from two flowers that I loved most as a child. The hydrangeas at Grandma's house always grew big by the front porch and my aunt and uncle had rooted one and gave me the cutting to bring home. Another treasure was wandering dew, a deep purple leafed plant that has tiny pink flowers. Grandma gave me several baskets full of wandering dew as a girl and I constantly killed them even though she kept trying to tell me how to make them live. To get some cuttings to plant when I am grown up enough to take care of them was very special. They survived the four and a half hour trip home with several stops in the heat. I immediately planted everything and am proud to say one week later everything still lives and shows sign of growth.
Around our home there are treasures from childhood, reminders to our family of lessons learned. History is important and our families can teach us a lot, good and bad. One aunt I especially loved as a young girl often went out of her way on Sunday mornings to get me to Sunday School when my mom couldn't get me there. I know now what a sacrifice that was.
This picture is of a crepe myrtle on the property that I played in as a child. An uncle came up as we were taking pictures and said it was the oldest tree on the property and he played in it as a child. What a fun day of remembering the good days of childhood.

3 comments:

DrPuritan said...

Ray says I'm not allowed here, but I have to say this: you are a gifted blogger, Lori--a natural. Thank you for the typical Rhodesian hospitality poured out on our family recently. We are still enjoying the beans. Give our love to the girls--great pic!

Anonymous said...

Funny, I went into a flower shop recently *I know this is not a shock* and i saw some hydrangeas and i thought to myself these are not nearly as pretty as the ones Grandma Louise had in her yard when I was young. That was a beautiful yard, a welcoming house... and I miss it! I have a lot of pictures in that tree! what a great tree!

Bess Kirby said...

Funny, I went into a flower shop recently *I know this is not a shock* and i saw some hydrangeas and i thought to myself these are not nearly as pretty as the ones Grandma Louise had in her yard when I was young. That was a beautiful yard, a welcoming house... and I miss it! I have a lot of pictures in that tree! what a great tree