Wednesday, April 05, 2017

As a Pastor's Wife

I love my job! I am my husband's wife. That's all, nothing more, nothing less. But being the wife of a pastor has unique challenges, as does being the wife of a plumber, doctor, mechanic, etc. I'm sure. But how often do you get introduced like this, "This is my mechanics wife?"

As a pastor's wife in the 1700's, before her husband was given an increase in salary, Sarah Edwards had to record every expenditure to make sure that she wasn't being frivolous with the family's finances.  That's Jonathan Edwards' home! Such scrutiny in a pastor's home is often painfully unfair. 

There have been times I have felt that scrutiny, whether it was justified or not. I have often taken things out of context and felt the pressure to perform as others would have me, even when it wasn't what I or my husband wanted. My children have often felt the uncomfortable realities of living in a glass house.

But it's still a job I love. The blessings outweigh the problems. I have first hand knowledge of people and can pray for them when no one else can. I may have to be on the phone for hours at a time, but I have God's Word to help me counsel. 

There are times like this wedding that I relish. Ray officiated the wedding of a young couple in our church family. We got to walk with them, like others in the past, through counseling and wedding preparations. God is glorified through them and I am greatly encouraged. 

A visitor to our church remarked about how involved I was in the lives of the couple. I keep thinking how sad I am for her own pastor and his wife, whom she shared has little to do with the church.  I understand that too. Sometimes, it's easier to separate yourself from people to avoid being hurt, used or even abused in some way.

But for me, today I thank God for this family of believers that He has placed me in. I wouldn't want to be anywhere other than Grace Community Church.

No comments: