Tuesday, October 25, 2016

It's Not Cliche'

Philippians 4:13 "I can do all things through him who strengthens me."

My sweet friend Natalie just gave birth to her fifth baby. (The baby is absolutely beautiful, named after Natalie's best friend, Sarah Michelle, who died last year from cancer.)

But the point of this isn't about her newest great joy. It's about my failure to do as God leads me.

During her labor, the verse that I kept thinking of to pray for Natalie was Philippians 4:13. I kept praying that God would give her strength through her faith in Him. I didn't text the verse to her because it seemed so cliche'. Of course, that's what everyone would say. But the thing about it - It's a great verse! 

Recently, I read the passage that was leading up to this verse. It's all about Paul telling the Philippians how he is able to survive all that he went through to share the gospel.  And then he explains how God will give others the strength to do what they need to do.

Philippians 4:19 "And my God will supply every need of yours according to his riches in glory in Christ Jesus."

God gives us the strength that we need to do all of the things that he calls us to do.

Too often our "Pinterest" society takes one verse here and there to use haphazardly.  We don't get to fully enjoy the context because it's thrown around too easily. This is a reminder to me to use the Word of God carefully, but also not to neglect sharing it with others. It's not cliche' to give out God's Word.

No comments: