Tuesday, May 17, 2016

Hebrews 12:15

See to it that no one fails to obtain the grace of God; that no "root of bitterness" springs up and causes trouble, and by it many become defiled.
I have allowed anger and bitterness to take root too long. Nursing it as a small child, I have held on to it. Because my pride is so great, I am not sure that I even want to get rid of the sin.

Besides that, it seems easier to hang on to sin. It's easy to blame others for the sin in my heart. It is true that I've been sinned against.  But the sin against me doesn't justify my own sin. No one is to blame for me turning over and over in my mind the hurts done. I conjure up conversations that I would have, if I had the perfect opportunity. Anger and bitterness swell up, and I say things that ought not be said. And I dwell on it, set up camp on it, live with it.

I tell my children all the time, no one else is to blame for your sin. I have to listen my own teaching. I can't blame others. We are all related to Eve. She didn't want to take responsibility for her sin either.

That sinful root can spring up and cause trouble. And the sin becomes just as visible as the roots of the maple trees in my yard.

But, Jesus knows our temptations and He is able to help us.

Hebrews 2:18
For because He himself has suffered when tempted, He is able to help those who are being tempted.
All of Hebrews 2 is so encouraging. I am calling on Him to help me to turn away from sin in my heart. The most practical thing that I can do when my mind wanders to sinful thoughts and practices is to focus on Philippians 4:8.
Finally brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things.


No comments: