Saturday, May 28, 2016

A Strong Tower

"My ability to do this job ran out about two years ago." This was what someone said to me recently when we were discussing hardships of life. I didn't tell him that God will not give him more than he can handle. Because that's not true. At least not in the way that I've always heard it spoken.

It is not true that "God will not give you more than you can handle." He may give you so much that you wonder where He is, if He is listening or does He even care. There have been many moments in the past few years that it felt like God wasn't available for us.

There have been many times in my adult life that grief and sorrow were so strong, but I could always "feel" that God would see us through. But lately, the grief of this life has seemed overwhelming, with no help in sight.

God wants you and me to totally depend on Him. He wants us to cry to Him like the psalmist. When our heart is faint, He is the Rock that is higher than we are.

Because I know that God is sovereign and omniscient, I can rest. I don't have to "feel" like He will see me through one heartache or another. He will. I must depend on Him, rest in His care, and trust Him to help me.

He is strong enough to handle my life. He is a Strong Tower.
Hear my cry, O God, listen to my prayer; from the end of the earth I call to you when my heart is faint. Lead me to the rock that is higher than I, for you have been my refuge, a strong tower against the enemy.
 Let me dwell in your tent forever! Let me take refuge under the shelter of your wings! Selah For you, O God, have heard my vows; you have given me the heritage of those who fear your name.
 Prolong the life of the king; may his years endure to all generations! May he be enthroned forever before God; appoint steadfast love and faithfulness to watch over him!
 So will I ever sing praises to your name, as I perform my vows day after day.     Psalm 61

No comments: