Saturday, November 21, 2015

How to Pray Based on Psalm 5:1-8

Ray has been preaching out of the Psalms for a few months and every week I have been encouraged.  Some weeks I'm actually even able to take notes. This is the result of my notes from his sermon on this past Sunday.

I. Pray with a Passion - groaning, cry. Verse 1
The psalmist prays
- with an expectation that God will hear him.
- that God's name would be great and that the Lord is lifted up in every situation. King, God.
- for God's provision.
- to a personal God who knows your needs, heart and desires. He is my King and my God.

II. Priority of Prayer - in the morning, it's his practice. Verse 3
The psalmist
- makes his first thoughts upward to God.
- disciplined, regular routine.
- watches in faith that God is going to act.

III. Purity of prayer - Verses 4-6
God
- does not delight in wickedness, evil cannot dwell with Him.
- abhors the bloodthirsty and evil man.
(Only through Christ can anyone stand before God. Psalm 66:18 Iniquity hinders prayer life. Repent of sin which hinders prayers.)

IV. Promise of prayer - psalmist appears before God through the abundance of God's love. Verse 7
We
- cannot separate ourselves from God's presence.
- enter with humility and fear and trust, because God has made the way and provided access.

V. Petitions of prayer - Verse 8
- lead me, personally, because of my enemies and the enemies of the people of God.
- make the way straight.
Our Thanksgiving Circle at church last week

No comments: