Friday, October 03, 2014

Parenting Those "In Between Age" Kids

I need some serious parenting advice, and I believe you're just the person to help me...
I am having trouble with disobedience from a certain 9 year old.  We've tried ...  We've taken away... We talk to him constantly about why he has to obey- what the Bible says about obedience, what is required of him and the importance of being obedient.  I'll ask him to do something and he'll say, "yes, mam" and then "forget."  I know the disobedience is his sin, but I feel like I'm failing in teaching him.  I know he's not going to obey perfectly every single second of every single day, but right now I'm struggling to get him to obey at all when I ask him to do a task/chore.  He always "forgets"...  How do I keep him from forgetting?  Any advice/help will be greatly appreciated!  Thanks so much!
Two of my favorite girls who are navigating those in between years beautifully.
When this note came to me I thought, "Oh sure, I can answer that one." I was ever so humbled! My next thought was, "I have no idea. When you find out, let me know!" The note came weeks ago and I still can't really form an easy answer. I think the answer to this is very complex and will take a long time. I know that's not really encouraging to this parent because her child is the nine year old. She doesn't have the years it takes to figure it out.

My favorite resource for parenting children this age is Age Of Opportunity by Tedd Tripp. The first few chapters are so convicting and have helped my thinking so much that I have actually only read the book through once. But because I have five daughters that have passed this age, I've read through those first few chapters at least five times.

But today, I want this parent and others who are in the midst of raising children in this age group to be encouraged. These middle years are so full of amazing things for them. They are beginning to think more deeply about life and everything else.

Staying close to them and involved in their lives, knowing what makes them tick is really important right now. Teenage years are zooming very close. They aren't to be dreaded unless you loose your child's heart now.

So for this parent - while I go back and walk myself through my own parenting class, try to stay encouraged, be diligent in your teaching and pray more than ever for his little heart.

No comments: