Friday, September 19, 2014

Occupied With Joy?

... because God keeps him occupied with joy in his heart. (Ecclesiastes 5:20 ESV)

How can I be occupied with joy if I can't catch my breath? I'm over committed and feel like I am not  doing anything really well.  Haven't I said this before? Where is that promise to myself that I will learn to slow down and purposefully enjoy the gifts that God has given me?

Well meaning people (ahem, my family) will have some great ideas of how I should spend my days. If I'm not careful, I could be running back and forth from one to the other, not completing anything and not helping anyone. Oh, wait! That's how I feel most times at the the end of the day.

Behold, what I have seen to be good and fitting is to eat and drink and find enjoyment in all the toil with which one toils under the sun the few days of his life that God has given him, for this is his lot. Everyone also to whom God has given wealth and possessions and power to enjoy them, and to accept his lot and rejoice in his toil—this is the gift of God. For he will not much remember the days of his life because God keeps him occupied with joy in his heart. (Ecclesiastes 5:18-20 ESV)
This is my life, my toil... to love and serve my family.

It is good to find enjoyment in my toil. It is amusing to see my two year old playing in a sink of dirty dishes. It is satisfying to hear my eleven year old explain what communism means. I can even feel somewhat accomplished to explain a little algebra to my fourteen year old.
Abigail and Susannah "helping" in the kitchen actually brought much joy, and a lot of mess!
Knowing that this is the "lot" that God has given me, helps to keep my perspective. I don't really have wealth and possessions, but I can enjoy what I have.

No comments: