Thursday, June 19, 2014

How Am I Cultivating "The Village"?

Some would say that I'm growing my own village. We have always told the girls jokingly that when they get married they must marry a godly man that always wants to live near us. As parents, we want our children to live in the same house with us forever, or at least stay very close. It's kind of a joke, but it may not be all bad.

If Rachel hadn't lived so close to us, what would she have done the day she was pregnant and constantly vomiting, the septic system backed up all over her house, at the moment that Adrian couldn't possibly leave work? She spent the day on our sofa while we took care of the dirty business. We did it joyfully, not because I thought Adrian would bring home flowers (which he did), but because we love her and we wanted to help her.

Having daughters, I have always taught them to help at home. They can all cook, clean and take care of babies. I was very purposeful in teaching these things for two reasons. One reason is so that they could help others and the other reason was because I needed help.  My marriage needed that and I needed that. It was a glorious day when Ray and I could leave the house together without children. They are fully capable and even cheerful about taking care of things here when I need for them to. I have often said that I don't know how I got Rachel raised without her help.

Now, I'm reaping the rewards of teaching them to care for a home, but I hope others will too. There have been a few times when they have gone to a family member's or friend's house to help out, but not often enough. I can see firsthand of how helpful my older girls are to me and I want them to do the same for others.

When we see life getting hard for a friend we should step in and help. Wash her dishes so she can sit down to feed her baby with joy. Sit with her children while she goes to the grocery store alone. Prepare her a meal to serve at her home when she needs it. That's all part of living in a "village".

While Rachel is pregnant with her second child and working on a house, she needs extra help again. We are part of the "village" that she lives in. Our community is our family and church. So many times we have been at their new house and she would mention someone's name that had been over to help for a few hours. What a sweet reward to "living in a village."

Don't you love the story about Solomon asking the people to give of their belongings to build the temple and they gave so freely that he had to ask them to stop giving.

A pastor friend just recently died after a brain tumor. The family was so blessed by meals coming every day that his wife had to ask the meals to slow down, the people were giving too much. In her grief, the community wanted to pour their love on her and surround her with help.

I have to ask myself, have I given so much of myself that someone would consider asking me to stop? That's part of being in the village.

Sure you're going to come across someone that always wants your help. They keep asking and asking, but never seem to return the favors. There's a scripture about that too.

But what I want is for my family to be helping the body of believers that God has placed us in and for them to help me. That's the village that I really want to live in.


No comments: