Wednesday, December 04, 2013

Put Her to Sleep

Someone made a comment about how easy it looked to put Abigail to sleep. It is easy, now. In the beginning I relished every minute with her and let her snuggle longer than I ought so it was wasn't until she was about eight months old that she really was a good sleeper.  But now, all I do is hum her tune, give her a "bubby" and "pa-pa" and lay her down. She nearly never even sits back up, much less gets out of the crib. Teaching her the routine of going to sleep every time was huge for us. She needed the discipline of obedience and we needed her cheerfulness of having enough rest.

I've always hummed a little tune of some kind to the girls before they went to sleep but the tune that has stuck the longest is Amy Grant's Christmas lullaby. (By the way, I am no singer but Lydia says I sing it much better than Amy Grant.). As a baby they are allowed sleep with a baby doll and their own "bubby" (blanket). Abigail has had her pa-pa (pacifier) longer then any of the girls had theirs but it's only for sleeping and I'll take it away after Christmas. I also have one blanket that I hang over the side of the crib that she recognizes and when she was very small and we spent the night away, I would take it with us. It was a nice reminder of home and helped her sleep in a different place.

Once laid down, she isn't allowed back up. The day she turned two she started trying the stalling tactics of wanting water, needing extra kisses, clean diaper, or whatever she can think of to keep from going to sleep. I have to be firm, gentle, clear and consistent. She has to stay in the bed until I say she can get up. Some babies need more sleep than others and it's important that they get the routine of getting that rest.

Being firm, gentle, clear and consistent is good in all aspects of parenting. All children need for their parents to be firm- let your yes be yes and your no be no, gentle- no yelling and administering punishments kindly, clear- made the rules understandable, and consistent- no waffling on the rules or random outbursts of emotion (unless it's full of hugs and kisses.)

If a cabinet is off limits, it's off limits, every time. Recently, Abigail opened the cabinet under the kitchen sink and just stood there looking. That's where I keep the cleaning supplies and it has always been off limits to her. She was standing there not touching, just looking, because she was waiting for me to get on to her. She needed to be reminded that she is not allowed certain places. I was firm, gentle, clear and consistent. She is never allowed there and it isn't always necessary for her to know why.

And especially with Abigail, I throw out lots of outbursts of hugs and kisses. Not because she's loved more than the others, but because I know how quickly this time goes by.

No comments: